Consumer Delivery Survey 2010
It may be more cost-effective to join us
IMRG's Consumer Delivery Survey 2010 provided online shoppers an opportunity to say how they feel about the delivery services provided to them and understand their needs and expectations over the past year and look to the year ahead. This is the first time we have included trend information which is shown in the report.
This section of the report seeks to offer some industry-wide observations but readers are encouraged to review the full survey to draw their own conclusions in the context of their own businesses. The trends and year-on-year variances mentioned in this section are shown in full detail in section 7 of this report.
Overall the industry should congratulate itself with the progress made. We have year-on-year improvements in a number of key areas:
- 13% fewer people are now concerned about delivery as a barrier to home shopping.
- We have seen good improvements in the availability, promotion and awareness of convenient delivery options and an improvement in the provision of information.
- The overall satisfaction in home delivery services is up by an impressive 13% and the incidence of successful 1st time, on time delivery is up, to 83%.
- The perception of safe arrival / undamaged delivery is much improved with credit being given to the quality of packaging and handling. Most recollections of a ‘damaged’ delivery are now over 12 months old.
- Returns services appear to be better but consumers would still like more convenient drop-off points and better information on the progress of the return delivery and confirmation of safe receipt.
- There is an increase in concern about the risk of failure due to no one being at home to accept and / or sign for the delivery, and people are even more concerned about additional costs related to home delivery.
- Despite the overall satisfaction figure, 75% of consumers have experienced a complete or ‘1st time’ delivery failure.
- 17 out of 100 deliveries are still not completed in line with the consumer’s ideal expectations.
- EXECUTIVE SUMMARY – KEY CONCLUSIONS AND TRENDS
- SPECIFIC OBSERVATIONS
- WHAT’S THE VALUE OF GETTING HOME DELIVERY RIGHT?
- SETTING THE STANDARD
- FULL SURVEY RESULTS
- 2008 – 2009 TRENDS